Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The (Hopeful) Death of a Salesman

Well, it's been a while. I've had little to post about lately, because, well, my life has been repetitive and crap. And I don't like posting when things are crap because that's just emo.

Seriously though, as most people probably know, I've been working at Curry's for the last five months or so, and generally hating it. As a full time job, it's really soul destroying, being a salesman. Forcing products on people, generally being hated by the entire public, having to sell insurance (sorry, 'cover plans') every sale and getting measured on how well you do, it's unpleasant. Especially full time, when there's no escape from it. Unfortunately, fresh out of uni, I need to be making money, and I don't have time to do nothing until I get my dream job, so I took it, I did it, yes, I hated it, but I had to do something.

I've made a lot of friends doing it too. Just because the job's shit, doesn't mean the people are. But, after five months of trying, I've been offered a new job, and would be crazy not to accept it.

The thing is, it's a new job that I haven't got offically confirmed yet. I've only talked by phone, so I'm nervous something will go wrong, but everything should be okay. I'm going to be working for the NHS, at Derriford Hospital, filing, delivering and finding medical records. But once in the NHS, there are lots of careers. Enough to maybe stop me leaving Plymouth and instead seeking a career within it. Yes, okay, the NHS has a shitty reputation up there with salespeople, but something about actually helping an organisation that heals people and saves lives rather than helping an organisation that screws you out of money appeals to me.

The main reason I decided to ressurect this was to write that, so in a month or two whereever I end up and whatever happens I'll know what I was thinking before things got to change. If in a month or two I'm still at Curry's and this job didn't take...

...fuck.

(Oh, I also ressurected this because I want to see how long it takes people to notice. I'm betting a good few months).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home