Thursday, November 27, 2008

Three Hundred and Sixty!

If you read that in a deep, over dramatic voice you probably played too much Destruction Derby as a child.

Which is your own fault really, because that game was crap.

Anyway, so I finally got my X-Box 360. I don't know if I'm impressed with the service I got over that or not. On one half, it took them several months to send it to me, I had to collect two bills and send them off and had to hunt down the mailing address through the royal mail because their website had got it wrong. Oh, and no contact e-mails or phone numbers on their website were correct either.

But, on the other half, it was free and came with a pretty decent phone at £25 a month. Which is good. I've decided to opt for 'I don't care' and just enjoy being able to finally play the only set of games I've missed out on (thanks to my brother already owning the Playstation 3).

The thing that impressed me with it so far is that a lot of the games (at least the ones I've tried on it) are suprisingly original. The basic way I've seen the different consoles so far is that the Wii is for people who don't know much about games, or like innovation, the PS3 is for people with lots of money (or, more fairly, people who want something that will do more than just play games), and the 360 is for the type of gamer who likes very traditional, stereotypical games, such as your standard shooters.

So far the main two games I've played are Dead Rising and Eternal Sonata. Dead Rising is the most traditional of the pair, being a survival horror game. Except, this is a survival horror game where there's no real 'horror' to be mentioned. It's more of a 'survival comedy'. After all, any game that gives you an award for 'knocking 30 zombies over with a parasol' isn't aiming to be gritty. And one where one type of offence is to stick a bucket over your enemy's head so it can't see is brilliant.

The other, Eternal Sonata, defies explanation. With a graphical style that is somewhere between Japanese anime and a French painting (the characters look painted, but unmistakingly Japanese), and several stereotypical Japanese RPG tropes mixed in the setting of being inside 18th Century composer Chopin's final dream as he lies on his death bed in Paris it's...just a little bit strange.

Add to that an actually rather subtle storyline, and some suprisingly dark themes (I mean, the main character is about to die for christsake, and the game opens with the sappy annoying typical RPG girl commiting suicide) and it's so bizarre you can't argue it's not original.

Wierdly, it's also a very good addictive game, despite being so strange it somehow recaptures that time when games were so wierd you had no questions about a fat plumber stomping on animated turtles or a hedgehog who for some reason was fighting robots at super sonic speeds.

And yet I thought the 360 was unoriginal.

I also thought it had a reputation for doing badly in Japan because it had no RPGs on it. Yet there seem to be a lot. More than Playstation 3. That's confused me as well.

Sadly, my brother had to go and crush my 'buy only original games' quest by buying Gears of War for it. Luckily, I continue on my quest to be the only X-Box 360 owner in the world who doesn't own Halo 3. Hopefully my brother won't fuck that one up too.

2 Comments:

Blogger just_a_guy said...

Joe doesn't have halo 3. It's a shame because it really is quite good.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Li said...

I don't like Halo.

I think you might know this.

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home