Thursday, December 18, 2008

I'm no Superman

Making Scrubs analogies just because I now work in a hospital isn't something that comes naturally. You see, Scrubs is about doctors (trainee or otherwise). Once you get into a hospital, you realise just how many people do how many jobs and that actually the life of a doctor is very very different from the life of anybody else. (To the extent I actually feel sometimes Scrubs would work better if they were health care assistants, but that really only works if you know how hospitals work).

So for me to relate to Scrubs is a little like the bloke who does the staff rotas for the filing section of the prison block on the Death Star relating to Star Wars.

But that said, there was a moment for me the other day that made me think of it. You see, first days at a new job and all are full of a lot of things. I usually take them quite light hearted, it's the only time the work load is light (because you don't know what you're doing) and jokes help you ease you in with your new collegues. At the same time though, it'd been very surreal. Derriford Hospital is big. 6500 staff members, give or take. Try learning all of their names. 12 levels. (But no level 1, for some reason, just 2 onwards... I'm betting on some secret Intitiative style base down there, which in my head could even lead to a Scrubs style cutaway). So it had also been a bit surreal.

Surreal but lighthearted. And then you get the Scrubs moment. That moment where through all the comedies and laughs and strangeness you're suddenly reminded you work in a hospital. For me, it was when I just casually asked what a sheet I had to put in a record file meant. (Turns out it marked the patient out as a cancer patient, hence why it hit me). For J.D. and co, they usually lose a patient. So we're still talking Vader to Death Star Admin Guy here, but you get the idea. At least I didn't launch into an obnoxious narration over a cheesy montage, but hey, that's the one bit of Scrubs that pisses me off.

Working in a hospital is obviously morbid. People die all the time there and the hospital has to be prepared. I work next to the chapel, for example. There are posters up to help people who know they're going to die to cope. There's a ''free worship' room too that any religion can use, which is nice, since the chapel is very Christian. But also admin people have to carry out all those little jobs. If someone dies, somebody has to cancel that person's appointments. It sounds ridiculous, but it has to be done. Someone has to update their records on the system too. People die and there are all these little tasks people just do daily. I don't have to do that, luckily, but I've been trained in how to decease people on the records. Which even in practice gives you a chill. You have a name and a date of birth and you have to realise that person has just lived their life and lost it.

Still though, it's nice to be doing a job where I know my roll is doing some good, no matter how small. Beats being a salesman.

1 Comments:

Blogger *Just a small town girl* said...

Makes you realise how precious life really is!

But yeh it must be hard, im glad you're settling in okay though, thats good :)

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home